Friday, October 10, 2008

26.2 miles Baby!

I can hardly believe it myself, but I actually ran (and walked some) 26.2 miles... in a row! David, Dianna, DaNae and Ben ran the St George marathon this last weekend. It was quite an adventure. It was only the second time in 30 years that the marathon was in the rain. We were soaking wet, running in puddles, sloshing in our own shoes... for 6 hours! Now I can cross off "run a marathon" off my bucket list. It was a once in a lifetime miserable and at the same time most memorable experience. I have learned that you can push your body WAY beyond the bounds that you think it can go.
Thank you David for running with me. It made the marathon more fun to run with someone. Sorry about all the bathroom stops.... we could have made it under 6 hours if it weren't for my weak bladder.

The marathon gang. We registered the marathon as a group so that if one person got it, we all did. It was nice to be able to call eachother this summer and commiserate about sore muscles, running tips, and the dreaded long run of the week.
A special thanks to Brent and Gavin (who says he is so glad that I won the race) for their support . Also thanks to Mom and Dad for the babysitting during some of my long runs. Stacey, my physical therapist who helped me overcome an injury and 7 weeks in therapy. And DaNae for her crazy idea, otherwise I would have never dreamed up the idea that I could actually do 26.2 miles!

5 comments:

Peregos said...

WAY TO GO DORRRRIIIIII!! You are awesome. NOw you can go swimming for your workouts for a year because you just survived a marathon! That is so awesome, way - to- go !!! thanks of the pictures.

DaNae said...

YEAH sucka!! That was pretty awesome huh. It was so exciting to be there when you and Dave came running in. I like how you thanked your pt! You must have gotten pretty tight up in those 7 weeks.

Marj said...

wow! Dori, I didn't even know that you were training for a marathon. That make sme think, I wonder if I could do it.

Dori, I want to know more about it. That is so cool.
Marj

NicoleD said...

Great job dori! That is an AWESOME accomplishment!

Dave said...

Thank you Dori. I wouldn't have made it if you weren't running by me.